POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to model "connecting dirt"? : Re: How to model "connecting dirt"? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 04:38:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to model "connecting dirt"?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 Sep 2011 03:09:33
Message: <4e856b2d$1@news.povray.org>
On 30-9-2011 7:19, Tommy377 wrote:
> Hi. I want to make a certain kind of transition between an object and the
> ground.
>
> To see what I mean, look at the picture "Virtual Joy of Life" in the POV-Ray
> Hall of Fame. There, at the ground, the transition from the stairstep to the
> rest of the ground. That's what I mean. It's a smooth, but crunchy transition
> somehow.
>
> At first, I tried to achieve this effect by using the same technique as shown in
> the "wallstucco"-example that came with POV-Ray 3.6., but it didn't turn out the
> way I wanted it to be.
>
> The problem is, that I need to "connect" a regular face like a cube to a more or
> less random surface. Like in the Picture "Virtual Joy of Life".
>
> How can I do this?

I am not sure how Tom Aust did the *physical* transition (mesh or
isosurface, combining the step stone and the ground) but the texture
probably involves a slope pattern with altitude control.

Building a mesh is best done with an adequate modeller like Wings3D; an
isosurface can be made very realistic-looking but is also fairly complex
to build, and slow(er) to render.

Thomas