POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Modeling of complex Scenes : Re: Modeling of complex Scenes Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modeling of complex Scenes
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 Sep 2011 02:59:13
Message: <4e8568c1$1@news.povray.org>
On 30-9-2011 6:50, Tommy377 wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to POV-Ray, so I've studied some works of the more experienced
> artists out there. Some scenes of their works are quite complex and therefore,
> they render very slow.
>
> Now, I wonder how the modelling of such a complex scene is done; How is it
> possible to model a complex scene, if the rendering gets extremely slow? Since
> it becomes impossible at a certain point to keep all the things in mind in a
> complex scene, the rendering of that scene (or parts of it) is the only way to
> check what's going on, isn't it?
>
> As far as I understand, it doesn't make any sense to wait a whole day for
> rendering, just to check if a small object sits in the right place - after
> spending one week in advance to find the proper camera-position to see whats
> going on with that object ...
>
> So, what's the story here?

What most people do while building their scenes, is to test-render using
simpler settings, like switching off area lights, switching off media,
switching off photons, using simple textures instead of complex ones,
replacing complex render-intensive objects by placeholders...

Once everything is in place according to one's intentions, then one
gradually switch back to the more complex and ultimate scene.

Very straightforward in fact.

Thomas