POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : rgb vs srgb : Re: rgb vs srgb Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:52:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rgb vs srgb
From: clipka
Date: 26 Sep 2011 10:32:31
Message: <4e808cff$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.09.2011 23:59, schrieb Grim Reaper:

> Found this discussion really helpfull. Been wondering for years why POVRay
> output always looks so blown on the white side. Only thing, does anyone know how
> to do the same to an image map? Should you save the file with a linear RGB color
> profile? How would you do this?

For POV-Ray 3.6, you would indeed need to convert image maps to a linear
RGB color profile (unless you're using "assumed_gamma 2.2"), or convert
to Radiance HDR and use MegaPOV. To preserve the full dynamic range of
the original material, I'd recommend using 16 bit per color channel.

With POV-Ray 3.7, and presuming you're using a "#version 3.7" directive,
most image maps should be fine "as is". PNG files are handled
automatically (provided they have a proper gAMA and/or sRGB chunk), same
goes for OpenEXR and Radiance HDR (which are linear by definition); for
any other files, POV-Ray 3.7 will presume that they're sufficiently
close to the sRGB profile. In the rare event of POV-Ray 3.7's
automatisms failing, you can override them by using the "gamma"
statement in the image_map.