POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks) : Re: Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks) Server Time
29 Jun 2024 02:48:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks)
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Sep 2011 12:11:01
Message: <4e761815@news.povray.org>
On 9/17/2011 18:21, Tim Cook wrote:
> On 2011-09-17 08:47, Darren New wrote:
>> I think asking whether it's the eyes or the brain doing the
>> interpretation is an over-simplified question. :-)
>
> Well, was thinking more about the reception of the direct input from the
> rods and cones, separate any other processing. Sort of a..."is the colour I
> see as 'blue' the same colour you see as 'blue'?"

The different rods are definitely responding to different wavelengths.
Whether the same wavelengths correspond to the same colors is a different
and so-far-unanswered question.  I.e., "blue" is the same wavelength for
everyone, but "blue" is a subjective experience.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?