POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks) : Re: Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks) Server Time
26 Jun 2024 09:02:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Sep 2011 03:51:54
Message: <4e75a31a$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/17/2011 6:03 AM, Tim Cook wrote:
> Query: is this a matter of how the human eye sends data on to the brain,
> how the brain processes the raw eye-data, or a combination of the two?
> Are the values the same for everyone? If they're not, what's the range
> that different people see?

Almost impossible to say. None of us have a "name" for colors that
contain both red and green in them, because, except for some situations
where you cause over-saturation, and some people "briefly" see a
confusing color that they normally don't, the processing basically robs
us of that range of colors. Some people, have four types of receptors,
so can see more colors, sort of, than we can, but without the "language"
to go with it, there is no way to process that into something tangible,
unless, by shear chance, a situation arose where someone "needed" to see
the differences, which is bloody unlikely. Otherwise, short of testing
it, there is no way to say precisely, save that it ranges from "not able
to see that color" to "everything is shifted slightly, so they don't see
some slice of the color range as clearly. I have no idea if certain
genetic forms produce a wider, or narrower, range, but that is likely,
so it could be shifted, or missing things on one end of the spectrum, or
the other, or both, etc.

In short, its a damn mess. lol