POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks) : Re: Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks) Server Time
26 Jun 2024 09:09:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks)
From: Alain
Date: 17 Sep 2011 22:12:28
Message: <4e75538c@news.povray.org>

> On 2011-09-11 08:00, Warp wrote:
>> Now, how do we *draw* this surface? The problem is that the relationship
>> between irradiance and the brightness perceived by the human eye is
>> far from
>> linear. In other words, the surface might be emitting 50% of the incoming
>> light, but it will not *look* half as bright as a fully-lit white
>> surface.
>> In fact, rather than looking 50% gray, it will look approximately 73%
>> gray,
>> because that's how the human eye perceives it.
>
> Query: is this a matter of how the human eye sends data on to the brain,
> how the brain processes the raw eye-data, or a combination of the two?
> Are the values the same for everyone? If they're not, what's the range
> that different people see?

Your retina does a good amount of preprocessing of what you see,
including some pattern optimisation, interpolation and differientiation.
Then, the optic nerve apply still some more intermediate processing.
Finaly, your brain does the main processing, lots of cross referencing
and pattern analysis and recognition.
And finaly, you see the image.
This allow you to instantly recognize a 95% degraded image of something,
but also causes all those optical illusions.

Then, no, not all peoples see the same thing the same way. The colour
response of your eye is almost sertainly different from mine by at least
a minute amount.
That difference is extremely difficult to eveluate, as two person that
don't see the same thing the same way will probably describe it the same
way.

> Obviously, there's probably the average perception that's being
> targeted, but...it does make me wonder.

Not average perception, but consensously thermed perception.