POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks) : Re: Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks) Server Time
26 Jun 2024 09:10:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks)
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Sep 2011 09:47:13
Message: <4e74a4e1$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/17/2011 6:03, Tim Cook wrote:
> Query: is this a matter of how the human eye sends data on to the brain, how
> the brain processes the raw eye-data, or a combination of the two?

Visual data is tremendously processed before it even gets out of your eye.
Rods and cones are analog devices, meaning that if you stare at a large red
circle on a large green surface, your eyes aren't even seeing the middle of
the circle after about a fifth of a second. That's the purpose of saccades
and the reason you can't see that your blind spot is there. The second layer
detects small features, the third layer detects edges, and then it's on the
way to your brain. Pretty soon, it's split out into "objects" vs
"locations", so people with brain damage in the "objects" part of their
brain can't see what you throw them, but they can catch it because the know
it's there, for example.

I think asking whether it's the eyes or the brain doing the interpretation
is an over-simplified question. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?