POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks) : Re: Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks) Server Time
26 Jun 2024 09:07:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why assumed_gamma 1.0 should be used (and the drawbacks)
From: Tim Cook
Date: 17 Sep 2011 09:03:22
Message: <4e749a9a@news.povray.org>
On 2011-09-11 08:00, Warp wrote:
>    Now, how do we *draw* this surface? The problem is that the relationship
> between irradiance and the brightness perceived by the human eye is far from
> linear. In other words, the surface might be emitting 50% of the incoming
> light, but it will not *look* half as bright as a fully-lit white surface.
> In fact, rather than looking 50% gray, it will look approximately 73% gray,
> because that's how the human eye perceives it.

Query:  is this a matter of how the human eye sends data on to the
brain, how the brain processes the raw eye-data, or a combination of the
two?  Are the values the same for everyone?  If they're not, what's the
range that different people see?

Obviously, there's probably the average perception that's being
targeted, but...it does make me wonder.