POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : beam through glass : Re: beam through glass Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:11:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: beam through glass
From: clipka
Date: 17 Sep 2011 02:04:02
Message: <4e743852$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.09.2011 21:17, schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> "roll"<nomail@nomail>  wrote:
>> i have started creating a animation where a laserbeam should go through a solid,
>> rounded glass box. So i created a hollow cone with gaussian distributed red
>> glowing media in it.
>> [snip]
>
> This is a nit pick, but if the beam is conical, then technically, it's not a
> laser.

That - to do some nitpicking of my own - is untrue.

LASER is Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, and is
a way of producing coherent light - that is, a stream of photons all
having the same wavelength and phase. Those photons do not need to
propagate in the same direction though, as long as they create a common
wavefront.

As a matter of fact, solid-state lasers (i.e. laser diodes) typically
produce light that spreads out quite significantly in one plane, and
require additional optics to focus the beam to a point at infinite distance.

Which brings us to the fact that even the classic lasers that /do/ emit
a unidirectional stream of photos can be combined with optics to produce
a cone-shaped stream of photos.

As for the practical side, CD and DVD players even /need/ a strongly
cone-shaped beam, focused on the data-carrying layer, to read out
individual bits without getting distracted by impurities in the
transparent carrier material, dirt on the surface, minor scratches, or
dust in the air gap.