POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : rgb vs srgb : Re: rgb vs srgb Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rgb vs srgb
From: clipka
Date: 12 Sep 2011 04:56:07
Message: <4e6dc927$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.09.2011 15:37, schrieb Ive:

> For anything that tries to be photo-realistic use assumed_gamma 1.
> Feed POV-Ray with *linear* values or when you prefer to do so use sRGB
> values and define colors with the srgb keyword. Since version 3.7 there
> is no more need to care about image maps, they work like a charm.

Always glad to hear that :-)

But I suggest everyone to calm down a bit; There are two approaches to
working with colors in POV-Ray: (1) Using assumed_gamma 1.0 for
photorealism, and (2) using assumed_gamma 2.2 (or something alike) for
more pleasant brightness gradients in color_map and the like. Warp has
always been a proponent of the latter, while you and I are proponents of
the former, but at present it must be conceded that both have their
benefits.

@Thomas: Don't listen to Warp in this matter - it'll only get you all
the more confused.