POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : rgb vs srgb : Re: rgb vs srgb Server Time
1 Jul 2024 04:44:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rgb vs srgb
From: Ive
Date: 12 Sep 2011 04:28:44
Message: <4e6dc2bc@news.povray.org>
Am 12.09.2011 09:10, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 11-9-2011 23:44, Alain wrote:
>>
>> You can use: pigment{srgb<213, 127, 79>/255}
>
> Yes, but that gives a totally different color. As I asked elsewhere here
> in answer to Jaime: I am unsure when you need to use the terms 'rgb'
> (which seems to be almost always) or the term 'srgb'in POV-Ray code.

<sigh> you *use* 'srgb' when the color value you specify *is* in sRGB
color space. E.g. when taken from some color picker, translated from
HTML colors or you simply prefer to "think" of colors as sRGB colors.

And (as it was not yet mentioned within this thread), changing the gamma
(using gamma correction for brightness adjustment on a per color or
whole scene basis) or using 'wrong' gamma (rgb versus srgb) does NOT
ONLY change the brightness, it also changes the hue.

And (more or less unrelated and not meant do add more confusion)
personally I do avoid sRGB like hell simply because I'm meanwhile used
to the AdobeRGB color primaries and one nice thing about POV-Ray is
because it has no defined inbuilt color space (with some exceptions)
this works like a charm.
And yes, I own a monitor that is actually calibrated for AdobeRGB and
yes, this makes a difference. But I do convert my final images to sRGB
when I show them somewhere in the web.
But when it comes to questions about color spaces things get indeed a
bit complicated while I still think the gamma issue is trivial and the
whole reason for confusion there is the huge amount of half-true
information that is spread around.

-Ive