POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : rgb vs srgb : Re: rgb vs srgb Server Time
29 Jun 2024 02:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rgb vs srgb
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 11 Sep 2011 04:14:43
Message: <4e6c6df3$1@news.povray.org>
On 11-9-2011 9:37, Warp wrote:

>    What are your gamma settings in POV-Ray?
>
>    If you want the color<213, 127,  79>/255 to correspond to the on-screen
> pixel value<213, 127,  79>, you'll have to use an assumed_gamma of 2.2
> (which is the default).

Display_Gamma = sRGB
global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0}

I understand from the documentation that this last one should always be
kept at 1 "for maximum realism" which is what I want. Using 2.2 or srgb
instead make the colors darker, but if the image is loaded in Gimp for
example, the colors do not match up with the initial ones. Neither with
assumed_gamma 1 I must add. So, fundamentally, something is changed in
between...

I give up. The matter is really going way beyond my understanding... :-(

Thomas