POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : rgb vs srgb : Re: rgb vs srgb Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:10:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rgb vs srgb
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Sep 2011 10:48:04
Message: <4e6b78a4$1@news.povray.org>
On 10-9-2011 14:23, Ive wrote:
> Well, assuming you are *not* talking about HDR values but actually mean
> "<213,127,79> / 255" what is wrong with using the functions given within
> my very first reply?
>
> #macro scRGB_to_sRGB(Color)
> rgb <sRGB_Gamma(Color.red),
> sRGB_Gamma(Color.green),
> sRGB_Gamma(Color.blue)>
> #end

No HDR! I shall try this indeed.

> if you need the inverse transformation or actually want to input values
> in 8bit (0..255) range I'll leave it up to you to write these macro as
> an exercise ;)

<grin> I am not really good at this. I am even awfully moronic to tell
the truth ;-)

> But what I do not get is why you do not simply type srgb <whatever
> values> when you are actually using sRGB values (e.g. from a color
> picker) and rgb <whatever values> when using linear values.

Well mainly because color pickers give values as rgb. If I want to use
that same shade as srgb, for example in Poseray, I do not know what the
corresponding values are. However, your functions may help me with that
indeed! Thanks!!

Thomas