POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : rgb vs srgb : Re: rgb vs srgb Server Time
26 Jun 2024 07:55:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rgb vs srgb
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Sep 2011 07:21:08
Message: <4e6b4824@news.povray.org>
On 10-9-2011 11:06, Ive wrote:
> Am 10.09.2011 09:50, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
>> All color pickers (like
>> Sven's for instance) that I know of use (linear) rgb as far as I am
>> aware.
>
> While I'm not aware of any that *does* use *linear* rgb values (don't
> know about "Sven's" though).

Right. I see I have got it all wrong obviously... ;-) What I mean is
simply the use of rgb (as in POV-Ray) versus srgb (as in POV-Ray too).

>> As a user of Poser and Poseray, I often like to tone the skin of the
>> human figures. The latest Poseray version does this nicely with some
>> added macros where you just have to put in the tone's srgb values.
>> However, that is where my problem arises:
>> I can define those tones in my
>> ancient PSP or in the latest Gimp, but those give the values in linear
>> space.
>
> I really doubt that.

I am sure you do :-)

>> So, to get the result I want I have to correct the Poseray output
>> just by changing 'srgb' into 'rgb' where necessary. If not, the result
>> is way to dark in general. This works but is a bit fastidious. Better
>> would be to have the 'real' srgb values of the tones from start.
>
> Sorry, but I've got the feeling that there is some fundamental
> misconception on your side. sRGB is by definition gamma corrected
> (composed of two functions as shown in my last post) and the linear
> variant of it is called scRGB and this *linear* rgb space should be used
> for *any* kind of math applied to colors (that is why POV-Ray internally
> always assumes linear rgb values). But I don't know what FlyerX actually
> does as I'm just using PoseRay's geometry output in combination with my
> own textures.

What I see in POV-Ray is that, e.g. rgb <213,127,79> does not render
identical to srgb <213,127,79>. I would like to know what srgb values
correspond to the given rgb ones. This is independent, I assume, of what
Poseray does...

>> I hope I made myself clear...
>
> ...nope :(

<sigh> I was not surprised...