POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : rgb vs srgb : Re: rgb vs srgb Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:05:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rgb vs srgb
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Sep 2011 03:51:32
Message: <4e6b1704$1@news.povray.org>
Thank you Warp and Ive. Let me try to be a bit more explicit. It boils
down to the need of having a real srgb color picker, as was already
discussed/wished in these ng's some time ago. All color pickers (like
Sven's for instance) that I know of use (linear) rgb as far as I am aware.

As a user of Poser and Poseray, I often like to tone the skin of the
human figures. The latest Poseray version does this nicely with some
added macros where you just have to put in the tone's srgb values.
However, that is where my problem arises: I can define those tones in my
ancient PSP or in the latest Gimp, but those give the values in linear
space. So, to get the result I want I have to correct the Poseray output
just by changing 'srgb' into 'rgb' where necessary. If not, the result
is way to dark in general. This works but is a bit fastidious. Better
would be to have the 'real' srgb values of the tones from start. I hope
I made myself clear...

Thomas