POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Availability of older povray 3.7 beta builds? : Re: Availability of older povray 3.7 beta builds? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:29:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Availability of older povray 3.7 beta builds?
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 4 Sep 2011 07:26:15
Message: <4e636057$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/03/2011 09:38 PM, Alain wrote:

>> Some major tech sites use povray for their CPU benchmarks. However,
>> they don't
>> necessarily use the latest builds. For example:
>> http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/40
>>
>> This site is using beta 23, and their numbers seem unusually high. For
>> example,
>> an Athlon II x4 630 is reported on their site to be 2227
>> pixels/second. However,
>> when I run RC3 on my computer (same CPU), I only get 706
>> pixels/second. I just
>> want to see how accurate their numbers are.
>>

> The key question is:
> Do they use the same scene as you are? With the same options?

AFAIK Most folks doing "official" benchmarking use the built-in version
for testing ... a while back (2010/08/26 - 2010/12/20) changes #5105,
#5129, #5255, and #5280 were efforts to synchronize the distribution
scene file and the built-in version. Also (as some others have
mentioned) there are more than several reasons that make comparing
results with "older" versions like comparing apples and oranges ;-)