POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does PoV-Ray 3.6 support multi-core processors? : Re: Does PoV-Ray 3.6 support multi-core processors? Server Time
20 May 2024 06:01:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does PoV-Ray 3.6 support multi-core processors?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Aug 2011 03:08:40
Message: <4e5897f8$1@news.povray.org>

> High!
>
> As for raytracing computers NEVER are fast enough, I currently toy with
> the idea of upgrading my prehistoric rattletrap (AMD Athlon 64 3500+) to
> a multicore system, preferably with an AMD Phenom II X6, i. e. a
> hexa-core CPU.

No need to be afraid of a software induced crash. Version 3.7 has been
very stable for a long while now. I never had a crash, even with my old
dual core. I have upgraded recently to an Intel i7 machine and POV uses
8 threads, which is a fantastic gain of render time for me after *just*
two threads before (which was already a nice gain of render time
compared to the single thread of version 3.6 and my even older
machines... ;-)  ).

Thomas