POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does PoV-Ray 3.6 support multi-core processors? : Re: Does PoV-Ray 3.6 support multi-core processors? Server Time
20 May 2024 06:57:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does PoV-Ray 3.6 support multi-core processors?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Aug 2011 01:33:43
Message: <4e5881b7@news.povray.org>

> High!
>
> As for raytracing computers NEVER are fast enough, I currently toy with the
> idea of upgrading my prehistoric rattletrap (AMD Athlon 64 3500+) to a
> multicore system, preferably with an AMD Phenom II X6, i. e. a hexa-core CPU.
>
> But obviously not all software supports using all cores - does PoV-Ray 3.6
> (I would not use 3.7 unless its final version is released, a friend
> experienced a bad crash with the current beta)? Are there differences
> between the Windows and Linux versions (I use Linux)?

You should go with POV-Ray 3.7 nonetheless. If your friend experienced "a
bad crash", I assume his system crashed while he was using POV-Ray. This is
indeed possible if his system is not cooled according to CPU vendor
specifications as POV-Ray 3.7 will use all cores and is ideally suited to
bring your systems to its thermal limits. POV-Ray, just like any other
application that would use all available processing capabilities can also
cause instability of a poorly cooled system, but in the end that is a
hardware problem, not a software problem.

	Thorsten