POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does PoV-Ray 3.6 support multi-core processors? : Re: Does PoV-Ray 3.6 support multi-core processors? Server Time
20 May 2024 06:57:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does PoV-Ray 3.6 support multi-core processors?
From: Alain
Date: 26 Aug 2011 20:24:48
Message: <4e583950@news.povray.org>

> High!
>
> As for raytracing computers NEVER are fast enough, I currently toy with
> the idea of upgrading my prehistoric rattletrap (AMD Athlon 64 3500+) to
> a multicore system, preferably with an AMD Phenom II X6, i. e. a
> hexa-core CPU.
>
> But obviously not all software supports using all cores - does PoV-Ray
> 3.6 (I would not use 3.7 unless its final version is released, a friend
> experienced a bad crash with the current beta)? Are there differences
> between the Windows and Linux versions (I use Linux)?
>
> See you in Khyberspace - www.khyberspace.de
>
> Yadgar

Version 3.6.1 don't support multiple cores. To use multiple cores, you
need yo launch multiple instances and do partial renders that you stitch
toggether afterward. In a radiosity scene, it will cause discontinuities
when the various sub-renders meet.
It means that any scene will be loaded multiple times and redundently
use your memory, possibly forcing additional swap file access.

Version 3.7 is in release candidate stage. It's very stable and will use
all available cores.
Some advantages of 3.7 over 3.6.1:
Multi processor/core support. One instance will use all cores/processors
installed.
MUCH beter radiosity code and many radiosity bugs eradicated.
Beter antialiasing and the ability of using antialiasing and focal blur
at the same time.
Beter and faster focal blur support with optional bokeh mask.
Native support for high dynamic range both as imput for image_map and as
an output file format.
Extremely beter resume capability: No artefacts when resuming a
radiosity scene.

I realy think that you should completely skip the very aging version
3.6.1 and jump straight to version 3.7 RC3.

Alain