POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Sky_sphere is not smooth : Re: Sky_sphere is not smooth Server Time
30 Jun 2024 03:39:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sky_sphere is not smooth
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 16 Aug 2011 18:42:51
Message: <4e4af26b@news.povray.org>
Zeycus wrote:

> Anyway I see all over the image lines that are like "height lines" in a map.

I can also see these ... but the actual RGB value look reasonable
in GIMP. I think the main reason is that I never managed to calibrate
my monitor properly (it's an old flat screen from 2004).

But I also wonder if there may be a general problem with
interpolating in RGB color space as opposed to something like
CIELAB that better matches human perception of color differences
(BTW, it's not related to linear RGB vs. gamma RGB, I see lines
both with assumed_gamma 1.0 and with 2.2)

I also tried dithering (new in 3.7) but it didn't change much. Doing
the same gradient in GIMP with dithering looks smoother but that is only
because gradients use extremely strong dithering.