POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : sun : Re: sun Server Time
15 May 2024 14:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sun
From: Alain
Date: 13 Aug 2011 18:59:23
Message: <4e4701cb@news.povray.org>

> Now I'm fighting with animating it. That works but there are spots (e.g.
> corners) that flicker while moving. I think it has to do with the radiation
> element. I took care of the photo-mapping (in first scene do a save and do a
> load in all other frames)
>
> http://vps001.vanheusden.com/~folkert/output.avi

When animating a radiosity scene, as the camera and other elements move
around, the exact location where the radiosity samples are taken will
change.
To compensate, you need to take more samples, especialy in the pretrace
steps.
Set:
always_sample off (new default, always recomended for any scene)
nearest_count 20 (to average more samples, maximum value)
pretrace_end 0.005 (or lower: 0.0025 or 0.00125)
minimum_reuse slightly lower than pretrace_end

Increase the count value.
With version 3.7, you can go higher than the former maximum of 1600.
If you increase the count value, you may be interested in using the new
importance radiosity controll.
You set the default value in a default statement:
#default { radiosity { importance 0.1 } }

and set the importance of specific objects as follow:
In the object's definition, add:

radiosity { importance 1 }

importance range from 0 < importance <= 1

You may try a two pass render.
First pass at low resolution, aa OFF. You can use a low quality focal
blur with a large aperture to force the taking of additional radiosity
samples. SAVE the radiosity data to a file.
Second pass at full resolution and AA ON. You load the radiosity data
from the first pass. always_sample MUST be OFF on that pass.

You are beter to use version 3.7 and use the +hr flag specialy for your
animations.
Version 3.7 RC3 have beter radiosity with many bugs corrected, can use
all present cores, have beter focal blur handling and is frequently
faster than 3.6.1.
You no longer need to remove ambient when doing a radiosity scene as
it's now done automaticaly. You can use the new emission in your finish
if you want some object to actualy glow and illuminate it's surrounding.

All this will actualy move you from new user to normal user and even to
advanced user.

Alain