POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rendering partially wet material : Re: rendering partially wet material Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:30:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rendering partially wet material
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Aug 2011 18:18:52
Message: <4e41b24c$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/9/2011 10:35 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 09/08/2011 18:15, kiwon nous fit lire :
>> Le_Forgeron<lef### [at] freefr>  wrote:
>>> I would cheat further: using the object pattern, assuming you have the
>>> collection of wet spots (as particle, they might be promoted to sphere)
>>> in a union, it's a simple matter of providing a wet and a dry look for
>>> each object.
>>
>> This is a brilliant idea. Then, there is a question. Does the *object pattern*
>> support for smooth edge between wet and dry area?
>
> No. It's either 1 or 0. Antialiasing might help anyway, but only at
> pixel size.
>
> If you need some more smoothness, it might be tempting to push in some
> average pattern on top of many object pattern (with somehow variant
> objects).
>
> In fact, you would enjoy a proximity pattern... (sampling inside-test of
> objects in a sphere around the object.. it would be smooth); but it's
> not yet available.
>
> I was just assuming that it's either wet or dry. Life is so complex.
Hmm. The issue there is probably more a case of "wet vs. damp vs. dry".
Not sure how that would work, since you need a darkening of the color
where its merely "damp", to match that of the wet part, but without the
reflective characteristics... But, yeah, life, sadly, is often more
complex than is easily managed in what is supposed to be a
photo-realistic rendering engine. lol