POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Raytracing on GPU : Re: Raytracing on GPU Server Time
1 Jun 2024 06:55:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raytracing on GPU
From: clipka
Date: 4 Aug 2011 19:04:34
Message: <4e3b2582$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.08.2011 23:50, schrieb Ive:

> CPU using 8 threads
> fps 33.39695
> 2.9942 seconds
>
> OpenCL CPU using 8 worker units
> Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
> 2.8005 seconds
>
> OpenCL GPU using 18 worker units
> Cypress
> 1.7871 seconds

Whatever a "worker unit" may be in this context; I presume that 18
worker units max out the Cypress GPU? So apparently we're talking same
orders of magnitude for CPU and GPU (with even better score for the
GPU), which sounds quite promising.

Not the 60x Luxrender speedup though; I guess they must be optimizing
their architecture for ray coherence or some such to really utilize the
"Extreme SIMD" strength of the GPU, which is probably way beyond the
development man-hours currently available to POV-Ray.