POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Same pov file and different result (with HDR) : Re: Same pov file and different result (with HDR) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same pov file and different result (with HDR)
From: clipka
Date: 4 Aug 2011 18:50:09
Message: <4e3b2221$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.08.2011 13:53, schrieb kiwon:
> Thorsten Froehlich<tho### [at] trfde>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Is this always correct even when I do not use the HDR image?
>>
>> Yes, it is due to radiosity. HDR has nothing to do with it.
>
> Thanks. This sounds like that it isn't a good choice to use radiosity for
> animation. Huh?

If you want to do radiosity in animations, make sure to use very
high-quality settings to minimize any radiosity artifacts (which of
course requires high render times, which you'll usually want to avoid in
animations).

If your animation is limited to changes in camera perspective you can
mitigate this drawback by re-using the radiosity samples from frame to
frame. You may even get away with lower quality settings if you do two
passes of the animation, one for collecting radiosity samples to cover
all camera angles (this can be a low-resolution pass rendering only
every N-th frame) and one for the actual render. (Without the first pass
you might see some flickering at the border of areas the camera sees for
the first time).