POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Raytracing on GPU : Re: Raytracing on GPU Server Time
18 May 2024 10:52:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raytracing on GPU
From: Ive
Date: 4 Aug 2011 17:51:18
Message: <4e3b1456$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.08.2011 23:12, schrieb clipka:
> An open question would still be that of performance, which will mainly
> depend on how well the software architecture fits with the "Extreme
> SIMD" ("Single Instruction Multiple Data") hardware architecture. We
> might see a positive surprise there, though it could just as well turn
> out a big disappointment.

Guess I can answer this one as I was just curious (people from the
luxrender project did claim a 60x speedup) and did implement a simple
raytracer with a static scene and did follow Intel's recommendation of
doing warmup runs before actually measuring the runtime. Here are the
results for the raw calculation time without scene initialization:

CPU using 8 threads
fps 33.39695
2.9942 seconds

OpenCL CPU using 8 worker units