POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : SOR pigmentation : Re: SOR pigmentation Server Time
28 Sep 2024 19:08:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SOR pigmentation
From: clipka
Date: 2 Aug 2011 16:37:38
Message: <4e386012$1@news.povray.org>
> I wonder how the rendering of the SOR can vary with the distance of the
> observer,
> and, more specifically, be wrong only within a certain interval of
> distances/orientations ...
> At first sight, it seems that this happen when the axis of the SOR is ~
> perpendicular to the view ray, and, then, within a certain interval of observing
> distances.
> At first sight ...

I guess there might be a similar root cause as with sphere sweeps;
there, POV-Ray does not try to solve for the intersection points
diectly, but rather first solves for the "time coordinates" along the
sphere_sweep spline correlating which any intersections, and then
computes the 3D coordinate of the respective intersection by computing.
This approach doesn't work well at places where multiple intersections
correspond to the same "time coordinate", but unfortunately we currently
lack the qualification and/or available time to sort these things out.

You might want to try a lathe object instead of SOR.