POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Raytracing on GPU : Re: Raytracing on GPU Server Time
19 May 2024 14:03:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raytracing on GPU
From: Ive
Date: 27 Jul 2011 00:53:56
Message: <4e2f99e4$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.07.2011 19:02, schrieb jhu:
> ATI and NVidia GPUs have had 64-bit float since 2008. I would imagine parts of
> Povray could be rewritten with OpenCL to take advantage of these things. GPUs
> are fairly general purpose nowadays.

Note that support for double precision floating point types is *not*
part of the OpenCL 1.1 specification but just an optional implementor
specific feature.
As a matter of fact AMD's OpenCL implementation (BTW meanwhile called
"APP" and no longer "Stream") does not support doubles neither does
NVidia's.
The only platform that does actually support 64-bit floats is Intels
OpenCL SDK - and it's JIT compiler does in fact an amazing job in
automatically vectorizing and optimizing for SSE2/3/4 registers
depending on the used platform - but obviously it does not support any GPU.
So the funny situation ATM: if you have an AMD processor you'll need the
Intel OpenCL SDK installed to get support for doubles within OpenCL for
your AMD CPU and exactly zero OpenCL platfoms support 64bit floats for
GPU's.

-Ive