POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Raytracing on GPU : Re: Raytracing on GPU Server Time
19 May 2024 05:53:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raytracing on GPU
From: Alain
Date: 25 Jul 2011 10:24:47
Message: <4e2d7caf@news.povray.org>

> http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2346334&cid=36867000
>
> This  particular post on slashdot was interesting. Mental Ray can use the GPU
> and throws thousands of threads at it mostly due to waiting for elements in main
>   memory. How feasible is this for Povray?

There is a big problem. When you programm a GPU, you can't use the same
code for an ATI, an nVidia or an Intel one.
WHO have 10 graphic cards in his computer?

Also, to my knowlege, GPU still don't do double precision FP operations,
only single precision. POV-Ray require double precision for most of it's
computations, hardware supported triple or quadruple presision would be
nice.

GPUs are made to work only on triangles, POV-Ray use several,
non-teselated, primitives. You'd only be able to render triangles,
meshes and bicubic parches on the GPU.