POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : constructing solid mesh from surface mesh : Re: constructing solid mesh from surface mesh Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: constructing solid mesh from surface mesh
From: Alain
Date: 21 Jul 2011 21:32:16
Message: <4e28d320$1@news.povray.org>

> Dear POV-Ray users,
>
> when there is only a surface mesh, is there any way to construct a solid
> (volumetric) mesh covered by other solid object boundary such as box?
>
> This codes are what I'm just trying, but doesn't seem to work:
>
>    #declare mysurface = mesh2 {
>      ... surface data
>    }
>
>    #declare myvolume = union {
>      box {0, 1 clipped_by {mysurface}}
>      mysurface
>    }
>
> Thanks
>
> Tested in Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.7.0.RC3
> Issued: Parse Error: Illegal texture or patch in clip, bound or object pattern.

I see absolutely no logical to use that kind of construction.

clipped_by cuts a hole in your box and leave it open. You then plug it
with your mysurface object.
If mysurface don't cover exactly the wanted opening, there will be bits
of the parent object sticking or bits of the mesh protuding around.

If you use this:
intersection{
  box{0, 1}
  object{mysurface}
  texture{...}
}

With a mysurface that have a proper inside_vector, you will have the
same result.

Also, mysurface can now be defined with a texture if you want to, or
need it (like when using an UV maped texture)

Alain