POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows editor does not recognize some keywords : Re: Windows editor does not recognize some keywords Server Time
1 Jun 2024 20:57:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows editor does not recognize some keywords
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Jul 2011 14:16:46
Message: <4e271b8e$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/19/2011 9:17 PM, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> On 20.07.11 00:47, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
>> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>>
>>> None of these are keywords in 3.7, so the editor is right. Some of them
>>> are declared variables though.
>>
>> According to the manual clock is also just built-in variable, but it
>> is highlighted by the editor. So there is a small inconsistency.
>
> No, there is a difference between built-in variables and declared
> variables. The former are keywords and cannot be changed by the user.
> The later are accessible by SDL just like any other declared variable.
>
> Thorsten

Hmm. So.. What is being said is we need a smarter parser, that
recognizes declared values, and marks them as such (different hilighting
than the built ins though). Seriously though, this is standard in most
language editors, being able to recognize, especially when its a
specific language the editor was designed for, when you have declared
something, otherwise object oriented programming would be a total pain
in the ass, for example.

That said, the solution is likely one of those, "We will get to it when
we get the thing working completely, like... next version.", unless
someone else comes along and does something about it themselves. ;)