POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Constructing isosurface functions : Re: Constructing isosurface functions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Constructing isosurface functions
From: Alain
Date: 18 Jul 2011 15:25:32
Message: <4e2488ac@news.povray.org>
Le 2011/07/16 18:09, David Given a écrit :

> Here's a fascinatingly failed attempt to perturb the spheres into random
> locations:
>
> http://twitpic.com/5r9ejh/full
>
> #declare f_obj  = function(x,y,z) {f_sphere(x,y,z,0.05)}
> #declare f_grid = function(x,y,z) {f_obj(2*f_noise3d(x, y, z)-1, y,
> 2*f_noise3d(x, y, z)-1)}
>
> Which is cool, and an effect worth remembering, but not what I was
> looking for.

In this case, the f_noise3d functions overwhelm the base sphere.

> I've been having a look at pigment functions instead; as I can think
> about these in a forwards direction I'm having better luck. I can create
> a perturbed terrain that's just below my planet's surface which sticks
> out above at particular points. Given that my trees are only going to be
> viewed from a distance, extended ovoids will do fine, and something like
> crackle would help here.
>
> This just gives me the problem of how to try and vary the density of
> trees according to some external function (probably going to be a
> heightmap lookup table combined with random noise). This requires me to
> make my crackle lumps get closer or further apart from each other. So
> far this is evading me...
>
> Here's another interesting image I managed to generate:
>
> http://twitpic.com/5r29s1/full
>
> The isosurface that's modelling the spheres is, more or less:
>
>    terrain - 10m + leopard(x, y, z)
>
> Leopard produces a rectilinear grid of blobs, and right now the camera's
> at about 20⁰N, so you can see the lines are all slanted. (Life would be
> so, *so* much easier if planets were flat.) The blobs are all about 100m
> across, and I hate to think how many of them are visible in that image.

Counting the ones that are sub pixel sized (intrinsic size or distance),
the ones that are hiden by others or the terrain... It can easily exceed
a few millions ;)

You can use a warp{spherical} to wrap your pattern around a sphere.
A warp{cylindrical} may also be interesting.