POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : shear matrix problem : Re: shear matrix problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shear matrix problem
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Jul 2011 02:58:11
Message: <4e1e9383@news.povray.org>
On 13-7-2011 23:06, StephenS wrote:
> Thomas de Groot<tDOTdegrootATinterDOTnlDOTnet>  wrote:
>> What I want is that the short sides of the Segment always remain
>> vertical whatever the positions of P1 or P2. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Thomas
>
> Did you see the new winpov insert menu/Transformation/matrix_shear...
> examples with pictures.
>
> Do these help?
>
> Stephen S

Yes, that is basically where my matrix is coming from:
      matrix<1, 0.5, 0, // matrix-shear_x_to_y
             0,  1,  0,
             0,  0,  1,
             0,  0,  0>

The difficulty is that, not only the object at P1 needs to point_at P2,
which is not difficult to do, but also has to be sheared in such a way
that the short sides remain vertical.
Maybe I am making a wrong assumption somewhere....

THomas