POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using slope on spheres : Re: Using slope on spheres Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using slope on spheres
From: David Given
Date: 11 Jul 2011 15:29:46
Message: <4e1b4f2a@news.povray.org>
On 11/07/11 00:09, Le_Forgeron wrote:
[...]
> slope of 3.7 with point_at
> (using the center of your world)

Thanks --- that works beautifully! And I'm using a 3.7 release candidate
anyway...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-VrONBXhKp30/ThtN9q36zaI/AAAAAAAAAVw/S1kBVA5Us8o/s800/map.png

This is an image of Mons Huygens (my favourite test area) Map mode.
Contours are 500m at each transition. Relief shading is done with the
slope function.

Interestingly, at this scale the pixels in my underlying topographic
data are quite large, and my first attempt to use slope shading showed
hideous blockiness: the first-differential effect of the slope function
was neatly undoing the bilinear scaling. Luckily, switching to bicubic
shading (also new in 3.7) produced the results you can see above.

Now to switch back to my exterior model and see if I can improve the
land texture...

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────
http://www.cowlark.com ─────