POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : window to viewport transformation : Re: window to viewport transformation Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:48:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: window to viewport transformation
From: Alain
Date: 11 Jul 2011 15:16:45
Message: <4e1b4c1d@news.povray.org>

> Hello all!
>
> For a homework assignment I'm required to recreate a simple scene. It's going
> well, but there are some things that I'm unclear about. I'm mostly unsure about
> the camera variables and the window/viewport limits.
>
> The assignment specifies the requirements for the camera:
>
> COP = (0,0,10)
> VRP = (0,0,2)
> VUV = [0,1,0]
>
> I believe this translates into:
>
> camera {
>      location<0, 0, 10>  /* Center of Projection */
>      look_at<0, 0, 2>  /* View Reference Point */
>      up<0, 1, 0>  /* View-up Vector */
> }

This looks correct.

> Can anyone confirm that?
>
> Furthermore the assignment has the following parameters for the window limits
> and the window-to-viewport transformation:
>
> window limits:
> x_wmin = -2, x_wmax = 2, y_wmin = -2, y_wmax = 2

This looks like it may be the extent of the vewable area at the look_at
point. It hints at a 1:1 aspect ratio, or a square image.

> viewport limits:
> x_vmin = 400, x_vmax = 800, y_vmin = 200, y_vmax = 600

Also a square image or 1:1 aspect ratio.

Set: right <1,0,0>// Same lenght as up.

> I'm at a loss here how to specify these variables. Can anyone give me some
> pointers on how to define these?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Jorrit

POV-Ray don't have settings for window limits and vieport limits.

You use direction OR angle (not both) to set the angle of view. It's the
angle between the center of the image and the side.

right and up set the aspect ratio.

You can translate the camera.
You can rotate the camera.

The best I can tell: Recreate the scene as well as possible. Once it's
done, alter the orientation of the camera and the angle to match the
original scene.

Alain