POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using slope on spheres : Using slope on spheres Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  Using slope on spheres
From: David Given
Date: 10 Jul 2011 17:22:30
Message: <4e1a1816$1@news.povray.org>
I'm rendering the moon:

http://code.google.com/p/flooded-moon/

One thing that needs improving is the texture used for the landscape.
For example, in the linked animation, Mons Huygens rises about four and
a half *kilometres* above sea level in a very short distance, but
without decent visual cues as to the steepness of the slope the size
isn't apparent and it just looks odd.

It looks like the Povray slope function would be ideal for this as it
will do everything automatically; but the slope function assumes a flat
world with a fixed up vector. My world is spherical, which means the up
vector changes depending where you are on the surface.

Does anyone know of any cunning ways to let me use slope on my moon and
have it work correctly?

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────
http://www.cowlark.com ─────