POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Obtaining Depth-map using POVRay 3.7 : Re: Obtaining Depth-map using POVRay 3.7 Server Time
25 Jun 2024 20:42:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Obtaining Depth-map using POVRay 3.7
From: Alain
Date: 5 Jul 2011 00:20:38
Message: <4e129116@news.povray.org>

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been using POVRay and Megapov for rendering images and obtaining depth
> maps using Megapov's post-processing tool available here at
> http://megapov.inetart.net/manual-1.2.1/global_settings.html#post_processing.
> I'm rendering the publicly available office room scene from Jaime's website
> http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=The_office.
>
> However, my main problem is that it takes almost 2.5 hours to render the scene
> using POVRay 3.6. I'm having to use MegaPOV for only depth and MegaPOV is not
> available linked with POVRay 3.7 which is parallelisable (where my scene is
> rendered in couple of minutes). I would like to use the benefits of POVRay 3.7
> but I don't know how difficult is it to obtain depth map using POVRay 3.7. If
> anyone has ever tried obtaining depth maps using POVRay 3.7 for such complicated
> scenes like this, I'd be very grateful to have your feedback and suggestions on
> that!
>
> Kind Regards,
> Ankur Handa

Faked focal blur ONLY work for first surfaces. If you have any
transparence or reflection, it totaly breaks down.

You are probably beter using actual focal blur directly with POV-Ray
3.7. On a single core computer, it's faster than 3.6 AND also support AA.
I almost never used focal blur in 3.6 because it was to slow.
I occasionaly use it now with 3.7.