POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help to emulate an image! : Re: Help to emulate an image! Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:49:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help to emulate an image!
From: Stephen
Date: 17 Jun 2011 03:23:31
Message: <4dfb00f3@news.povray.org>
On 17/06/2011 6:51 AM, simplyfabio wrote:
> Thanks for reply!
> Then, i know thatt anyone make it for me! I've only asked some help input to
> follow and try by myself.
> I've studied it, and The only thing where i found problem is write a function
> for one of that "arms". It is like a parabolic arc curved in two dimension, or a
> sinxsinx function from 0 and pi/2 and mirrored... I don't know....

You might not realise that if you put a series of straight objects in a
line and each object deviates slightly from the straight line of the
previous object. It will look like a continuous curve.

I know that you want to do your own homework but below is an example of
how a cylinder can be turned into a hoop. (The shorter the cylinder and

Analyse your subject and break it down into separate patterns that you
can model then combine them.
It might be an idea to work in 2D to start off with then move on to 3D.

#declare Cylinder0 =
cylinder {
  -0.50*y,0.50*y,1.0
  scale     <1.0,4.0,1.0>
  rotate    <0.0,0.0,90.0>
  translate <0.0,0.0,44.425>
}  // end Cylinder0

union {  // Object_Array0
  #declare Count = 0;
  #while( Count < 35 )

   object{ Cylinder0

    rotate <0.0*Count,5.0*Count,0.0*Count>
   }
   #declare Count = Count + 1;
  #end

texture {
   pigment {
     colour rgbft <1.000,1.000,1.000,0.000,0.000>
   }

   finish {
     ambient     rgb <0.100,0.100,0.100>
     brilliance  1.000