POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : caterpillar/cam belt : Re: caterpillar/cam belt Server Time
2 Jul 2024 12:11:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: caterpillar/cam belt
From: Stephen
Date: 4 Jun 2011 05:41:15
Message: <4de9fdbb@news.povray.org>
On 03/06/2011 8:47 AM, Tops wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am trying to draw a simple small-to-large gear mechanism, driven by a cam
> belt.
>

> However, I have no idea how I am going to draw the cam belt which will link this
> gear with another larger one. I can sort out distances and sizes of the gears,
> no problem, but the belt I have no idea.
>
> To add to this, I need the belt to at least appear to be moving as the gears
> move. Is this possible?
>
> Any help would be great!!!!

One of the good things about these sorts of animations is that you do
not need to animate a complete cycle of the belt. You can just render
the portion that repeats. For instance the animation below has only 90
frames.
I made it using a modeller (Bishop3D) so there are no macros and I had
to place some of the chain links manually.
The scene splits into two parts:
1.	Links that move in a regular way, either translation or rotation.
2.	Links that move partly in a regular way then change movement from a
translation to a rotation or vice versa.

There were six segments of links. Two moving between the gears, two
moving round the gears, one moving round then coming off and the other
moving to then going round a gear wheel.

I hope this hint helps and I can make the Bishop3D file available.

Gear Chain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urX5kI-5e4E

Used in a longer animation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfVRnAHu4JI