POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : caterpillar/cam belt : Re: caterpillar/cam belt Server Time
2 Jul 2024 12:07:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: caterpillar/cam belt
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 3 Jun 2011 20:08:34
Message: <4de97782@news.povray.org>
Tops wrote:

> However, I have no idea how I am going to draw the cam belt which will link this
> gear with another larger one. I can sort out distances and sizes of the gears,
> no problem, but the belt I have no idea.

Regarding the basic geometry, I think you are looking for
the "common tangent for two circles" problem, which is slightly
more tedious to solve than I initially thought, see e.g.

http://www.cut-the-knot.org/Curriculum/Geometry/TangentTwoCirclesI.shtml
http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee-coordinate-geometry/common-tangents.aspx
http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?topic=189971.0

With such points you can make a very simple model using two boxes
for the straight part and two cylinder shells (differences) from which
you cut out an angled wedge (cylinder intersected with 2 planes?).
Once you get that working then you can start worrying how the belt
should be constructed physically and how it fits with cogs.