POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simulate a camera with no lens : Re: Simulate a camera with no lens Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:37:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simulate a camera with no lens
From: clipka
Date: 26 May 2011 21:01:10
Message: <4ddef7d6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.05.2011 00:15, schrieb Crippso:
> Hi,
>
> I've only just downloaded pov-ray so sorry if this is a really stupid
> question...
>
> I understand that the camera model in pov-ray is that of an ideal pin hole
> camera, and that the field of view of the camera is set which essentially
> defines the properties of the 'lens' in front of the camera.
>
> What I'd really like to be able to do is model what a focal plane array (FPA)
> would see when a camera has no lens to focus the rays. In this 'no-lens'
> scenario I'd like to define an approximate field of view by placing the FPA at
> the back face of a cylinder, with an aperture in the front face.
>
> Is this possible in pov-ray?

Possibly the most realistic way to model this would be as follows:

- Build your "camera" using scene geometry, including a placeholder
dummy for the FPA, which should be a plain white diffuse slab (pigment {
rgb 1.0 } finish { ambient 0 diffuse 1.0 specular 0 }).

- Turn on radiosity (you may need very high-quality settings, especially
a high "count" value). This will effectively project the scene onto the
FPA dummy slab (very blurry).

- Use an orthographic camera placed just a tiny bit in front of the FPA
dummy, oriented to look at the FPA dummy, to capture the pattern of
light projected onto the dummy. (Note that you may actually get a
mirrored image.)