POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is this a bug in 3.7RC3 ? Or am I missing something? : Re: Is this a bug in 3.7RC3 ? Or am I missing something? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:26:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is this a bug in 3.7RC3 ? Or am I missing something?
From: Alain
Date: 25 May 2011 12:19:14
Message: <4ddd2c02$1@news.povray.org>

> "Alain"<aze### [at] qwertyorg>  wrote in message

>> The documentations clearly state that all object modifiers must follow all
>> objects items.
>
> It is good to hear that there is at least one thing that the documentation
> "clearly states". Because most parts of the documentations are rather
> unclear.

Maybe if you look in the documentations for object modifiers...
You'll see that clipped_by IS an object modifier.
You'll also see, at the top, that object modifiers must be at the end of
any object's definition.

> I am at a loss how a sentient being can claim that they are "totally
> different things".

max_trace_level (default value 5) is how many ray-surface to follow when
you have refraction or reflection. Each surface do have an effect on the
value of a specific pixel. In 3.7, contrary to versions 3.6.2 and
earlier, plain transparent surfaces that don't reflect nor refract are
not counted against max_trace_level.
When you exeed max_trace_level, the colour returned is black (rgb 0).

max_trace (default value 1) is, for an isosurface in a CSG, how many
surface to EVALUATE or FIND. Here, the crossed surface don't have ANY
effect when computing the falue of a pixel.

If you set max_trace_level 1, it means that you stop following new rays
after the first reflection or refraction. You'll get black instead of
reflection or refractions.

With max_trace 1, the second and successive surfaces are not evaluated.
That means that you don't find when you exit the isosurface.