POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is this a bug in 3.7RC3 ? Or am I missing something? : Re: Is this a bug in 3.7RC3 ? Or am I missing something? Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:45:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is this a bug in 3.7RC3 ? Or am I missing something?
From: SGeier
Date: 19 May 2011 14:47:21
Message: <4dd565b9$1@news.povray.org>
news:4dd41abd@news.povray.org...
> On 18.05.11 21:00, SGeier wrote:
>
> It certainly helps to read the documentation when being pointed to it,
> rather than complain about being helped

It /also/ certainly helps to try a non-functioning case of code when being
pointed to it, rather than complain about being helped. Because that's what
*I'm* doing when I point out things that don't work: help you. By either
alerting you to buggy code (code that does not work as intended) or buggy
documentation (documentation that does not communicate how things are
intended to work).

>... add all_intersections and just be happy.

Why don't you try it yourself?

Seriously: Why not?

I gave you the best bug-report I can think of writing; with a few discrete
steps where I describe at each step why I am taking it, what I expect to see
and what I actually see.

What do I have to do to motivate you to simply follow along with my example,
see for yourself where things stop working - and then enter that line and
see it /start/ working. Wouldn't that give you satisfaction? Why are you so
afraid of simply trying it? What do you have to lose here?

Let me save you typing effort and reproduce the whole file so you can just
cut/paste it:

// --------------------start here
  #version 3.7;
  global_settings { assumed_gamma 2.2 }

  camera{ location 5 look_at 0 right x*4/3 }
  light_source{<2,4,8>, <1, .8, .6> }

  sky_sphere {pigment {gradient -y}}

  #declare clipper = difference {box {-2 2} box {<0,-3,0> 3}}

  isosurface{function{ sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z) }
        threshold 2 max_gradient 100 contained_by{ box {-5 5} }
          clipped_by { clipper }
          pigment {rgb 1}
          all_intersections
        }

See: I have the best documentation there is: the program itself. Whatever
the program does is whatever it does. You may /imagine/ that you know it
better than me, but I've actually looked at it. I get to see the actual
binary, produced by compiler 'x', using library 'y' interacting with OS 'z'.
(OS'es are Windows Server.03 32bit and and Server.08 64bit just in case
anybody really cares).