POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Starscape : Re: Starscape Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Starscape
From: stbenge
Date: 19 May 2011 13:51:30
Message: <4dd558a2@news.povray.org>
On 5/19/2011 12:00 AM, Zeger Knaepen wrote:
> instead of granite, try something like this:
>
> sky_sphere {
> pigment {
> crackle form <1,0,0>
> color_map {
> [0 rgb 5]
> [.1 rgbt 1]
> }
> scale .01
> }
> }
>
> imho it gives much better results.

Not always, IME. The crackle-form-x pattern, while producing circular
points, often looks a little /too/ perfect.

I like good old granite myself, when used like so:

sky_sphere{
  pigment{
   granite
   scale 0.002/image_width
   poly_wave 28
   color_map{
    [0 rgb 0]
    [1 rgb 2]
   }
  }
}

The granite pattern tends to look more like star clusters. In my example
it's been scaled according to the size of the render window, which helps
a lot with these sorts of things (if it's not going to be animated, that
is).

It's all a matter of preference, though :)

Sam