POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help with plastic texture : Re: Help with plastic texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with plastic texture
From: Dre
Date: 15 May 2011 20:28:22
Message: <4dd06fa6@news.povray.org>
"Dre" <and### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> "Dre" <and### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
>> Hi all, I have been struggling bigtime trying to get a realistic plastic
>> texture to work with a hdr background.
>>
>> Whenever I get close it allways looks washed out or way too reflective
>> (ie
>> like shiney metal), I'd really like a brilliant white shiney surface.
>> For
>> example the same as a brand new white painted car panel.
>>
>> If someone could help me out I would much appreciate it!
>>
>> An quick mock up of my scene is below:
>>
>> // ----------- code start
>> #include "colors.inc"
>> #include "textures.inc"
>>
>> camera {
>>  location <0, 0, 10>
>>  look_at <0, 0, 0>
>>  right x * image_width / image_height
>> }
>>
>> sphere {
>>  0, 12000
>>  hollow
>>  pigment { image_map { hdr "Factory_Catwalk_2k.hdr" map_type 1 } }
>>  finish { diffuse 0 ambient 1 }
>> }
>>
>> sphere {
>>  0, 3
>>  pigment { color rgb 1 }
>>  finish { specular 1 roughness 0.0001 reflection 0.13 }
>> }
>> // ----------- code end
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Cheers Dre
>>

> Hi, replying here to both Trevor and Alain.
>
> Thank you both for your help, those examples give me the finish I am
> looking
> for, but no matter what I do, the sphere allways comes out black.  The
> metal
> surfaces in my image look great, but anything coloured is black (or very
> very dark).  I'm not using any lights as I thought the hdr took care of
> that.  If I stick a light in there it all looks wrong and way to bright...
>
> In the past I've only really used hdr backgrounds for metal things, but
> now
> I'm trying to use other surfaces and am really struggling.
>
> I've attached a pic of what I'm talking about.  That black thing needs to
> be
> white :)
>
> Cheers Dre

Hi again, well I have managed to use an area light to make it look white.
However that makes all the metal in the image washed out and too bright.

About the only way I think I can get around this is with a light_group but
surely there is a more elegant way of solving this?

Cheers Dre

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'droid.png' (99 KB)