POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : load texture once - render multiple images : Re: load texture once - render multiple images Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: load texture once - render multiple images
From: clipka
Date: 10 May 2011 08:12:40
Message: <4dc92bb8@news.povray.org>
Am 26.04.2011 01:09, schrieb CAD-Andi:

> It would be a GREAT and FANTASTIC thing if one could do at least pure camera
> animations without re-parsing and re-loading everything again and again. This
> bugs me since I first read about clockless rendering with povray.
> Before I start something ridiculous like that, I just would
> like to know if povray will ever be able to save images and potentially "re-use"
> chunks of geometry and images loaded in memory.

I'm quite certain it will.

The simple reason why it doesn't yet is that there have been other, more
pressing issues to address for the 3.7 release. By the way, that's
probably why clockless animation is still pretty limited as well.

Christian already mentioned that he wrote a patch that would allow for
keeping variables in memory from one frame of an animation to the next;
I wouldn't be too surprised if that patch ended up in version 3.71.

> PS: Sorry if I sound a little frustrated, but I could really use this!

We know this would be a useful feature, and it's already on the agenda
for future versions. Focus for 3.7, however, was to get multithreaded
rendering to work. Aside from that, much energy went into ironing out
some inconsistencies in existing features so we'll not have to change
them right in the middle of the 3.7x series nor defer them for too long.