POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Any more characters in declared names possible ? : Re: Any more characters in declared names possible ? Server Time
2 Jul 2024 12:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any more characters in declared names possible ?
From: Warp
Date: 9 May 2011 12:31:17
Message: <4dc816d5@news.povray.org>
> As a matter of fact, current versions of POV-Ray support only latin
> upper- and lowercase letters (a-z, A-Z), underscore (_), and digits
> (0-9). The latter cannot be used as first character of an identifier. As
> for ASCII characters, it is unlikely that any other characters will ever
> be added to the list of allowed identifier characters (unless some
> special syntax would be added to support truly arbitrary identifier
> names); As for non-ASCII Unicode characters, I currently wouldn't place
> any bets either way.

  Technically UTF-8-encoded (non-ASCII) characters in identifier names
shouldn't be a problem because the encoding has been specifically
designed so that they won't (iow. no byte in a multi-byte character
will be a control character, a space, etc. if interpreted in ASCII).
It's just a question of the parser allowing for them.

--
                                                          - Warp