POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : New feature request Poseray 3.13 beta : Re: New feature request Poseray 3.13 beta Server Time
7 May 2024 10:26:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New feature request Poseray 3.13 beta
From: FlyerX
Date: 4 May 2011 14:20:41
Message: <4dc198f9@news.povray.org>
On 5/4/2011 6:18 AM, Ive wrote:
> Am 04.05.2011 09:44, schrieb FlyerX:
>> New undo feature in the latest beta of PoseRay.
>>
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/
>>

> FWIW:
> PoseRay is still crashing whith any contemporary ATI graphics card and
> model geometry above approx. 15 MB!
> After getting frustrated about using Blender as converter (I really
> loved PoseRay for that purpose!) I did some research and used the
> VisualStudio debugging tools and finally found (at least a temporary)
> workaround:
> The access violation happens within the atioglxx.dll module and it seems
> there is a function call with an uninitialized pointer. NVidia and *old*
> ATI drivers are obviously more forgiving about this issue but
> contemporary ATI drivers are not. As this is not a driver bug it is not
> to be expected that any future update of the ATI OpenGL graphics drivers
> will fix the problem.
> But if it happens that you own a ATI card (and its installation CD) from
> 2004 (anything newer will not work) you can do the following:
>
> Search the installation CD for the file atioglxx.dl_ (<- note the
> underscore).
>
> Copy this file into the PoseRay installation directory.
>
> Run a console window and navigate to the PoseRay installation directory.
> (e.g. "cd C:\CGI\PoseRay"). If you are using Vista or 7 and PoseRay is
> installed within the "Program Files" folder you will need also
> administrator rights.
>
> Enter "expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll".
>
> PoseRay should work again. This will in no way mess up your graphics
> driver/OpenGL installation as *only* PoseRay is effected.
>
> Note that any catalyst drivers from the ATI update side (going back to
> 2008) are still too *new* and will not work.
>

> Well, just in case you have no old driver cd available, you may want to
> send me a mail...
>
> -Ive

Thanks for the workaround. To this day I have not been able to find the
origin of the bug. I used an OpenGL debugger and all the calls were
correct. Most likely it is a bug (or maybe an outdated function) in
PoseRay but without the ATI drivers running there is no way to check
exactly what is happening. If there was a way of emulating an ATI card
as a layer over the Nvidia drivers, for programming/debugging purposes,
that would be great.

FlyerX