POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Light diffusion through prism : Re: Light diffusion through prism Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light diffusion through prism
From: Alain
Date: 26 Apr 2011 13:19:01
Message: <4db6fe85@news.povray.org>

> "awestover"<nomail@nomail>  wrote:
>> I am trying to create a simple scene that has a semi-transparent triangular
>> prism with a white light entering on one side and a rainbow exiting on the
>> other, similar to
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dispersive_Prism_Illustration_by_Spigget.jpg
>>
>> I was thinking about just using a gradient and a color map to build the rainbow
>> but every time I tried the gradient would be small and repeat, so it was like 5
>> or 6 repeating rainbows. I then tried the actual rainbow structure but couldn't
>> get it straight and triangular like the dispersion from a prism. Any idea on how
>> to go about this?
>
> To awestover:
> Alain and Jim gave you really good advice. I really hope you accomplished your
> goal writing your script. There is nothing more rewarding than to see the
> physics of nature perfectly simulated by povray. I would go with Alain's
> suggestion to project the light onto a screen rather than using media. Good
> luck!

Yes, a screen can be over 100, to 1000 times faster.
With media, you need to deposit your photons in the media. That realy
causes your photons count to shoot up dramaticaly.
More photons means heavier RAM useage, quite possibly exceding the
amount of available RAM and forcing the use to the page file.
Disk access is extremely Slooooooooooooow comapred to RAM access.

Alain