POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : load texture once - render multiple images : Re: load texture once - render multiple images Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: load texture once - render multiple images
From: Alain
Date: 26 Apr 2011 13:13:47
Message: <4db6fd4b@news.povray.org>

>> clockless animation disable image file writing. This means that the
>> result are only displayed on your screen, you can't view them later.
>> You can't render on one computer and have the result displayed on another.
>>

> I guess there are good reasons why clockless animation can't write the picture
> to the harddisk. Can someone just give me a hint why? I really would like to
> learn why something that is on my screen can't be saved to the hard disk.
>
> It would be a GREAT and FANTASTIC thing if one could do at least pure camera
> animations without re-parsing and re-loading everything again and again. This
> bugs me since I first read about clockless rendering with povray. It feels like
> if someone holds your favorite food right under your nose, but you are not
> allowed to even get a little taste of it. Meanwhile I'm even thinking about
> figuring out a bash script that runs in the background and that simply takes a
> screen shot when povray spits out a message into some log file that the next
> picture is ready. Before I start something ridiculous like that, I just would
> like to know if povray will ever be able to save images and potentially "re-use"
> chunks of geometry and images loaded in memory.
>
> I know this has been discussed already before this, Is there a new take onto
> this by now?
>
> Andi
>
> PS: Sorry if I sound a little frustrated, but I could really use this! I have a
> basic understanding of Programming in general but am limited  to writing humble
> bash scripts. I'm more of a user than a programmer and find myself absolutely at
> the mercy of programmers that know really what they are doing. Povray is one of
> my favorite programs. I appreciate all the effort that is put into it. THANKS!
> :-)

Some possible reasons for disabling image file writing:

A clockless animation, once started, will continue indefinitely until
you stop it or there is some unanticipated error causing it to stop. It
can very easily fill up any drive.

The frames are numberless, so you can't save them using unic names.

It allows to save some time by skipping the overhead of actualy saving
the images to disk.

What you can do, is to take a screen shot of the image and save that to
a file.

Alain