POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : load texture once - render multiple images : Re: load texture once - render multiple images Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:07:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: load texture once - render multiple images
From: Alain
Date: 20 Apr 2011 14:05:16
Message: <4daf205c@news.povray.org>

> I am trying to render many scenes using povray. The key factor for me is speed
> (server side rendering for user requests. Am I on my way with povray?).
>
> I want to achieve this:
> 1) load some texture(s)
> 2) apply some camera transformations (transformations may depend on some
> variable, differs each iteration)
> 3) output results to file
> 4) repeat 2-3 as many times as needed, avoiding 1.
>
> The key point is to avoid loading textures, as it is relatively slow. I want to,
> say, simply rotate object and save to file without loading textures each
> time(theoretically no need for that at all).
>
> I know there is animation posibility using .ini and clock variable, but how do i
> avoid loading textures? :(

You can't preload your textures for many renders. Each render start with
a "clean slate".
There is one exception, but it can't output to a file.

What kind of textures?

For procedural textures, you can easily compile a custom My_texture.inc
file that only contains the texture that you actualy do use and made
available.

If the textures are images files, try to use some compressed format and
don't use uncompressed ones like BMP, TGA or TIF/TIFF. The decompression
takes lots less time that loading larger, uncompressed, files from disk.

To get the files size smaller, thus faster loading, try reducing the bit
per pixel count. High colours (16 bits) or paleted colours (256 / 16 / 8
/ 4 colours) will give smaler files than true colours.
Increase the compression ratio as much as possible.

Use tilling if possible.
Reduce the resolution of the image and use interpolation.

Try replacing image_map with procedural textures whenever possible.

Alain